Subject: bug#20487: 25.0.50; Format and behavior of *xref* buffer is non-standard

From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 00:20:14 +0200

Hi,

*xref* buffer doesn't look nor behaves like other buffers that display
references (*grep*, occur*, *compilation*).

Particularly

  - on RET *xref* is buried. That's not that other modes do and it's
    rather inconvenient IMO.

  - Display is inneficient. Currently two lines are used to display one
    item:

       /home/vspinu/bin/r-source/src/library/stats/src/port.c
         nlminb_iterate(double b[], double d[], double fx, double g[], double h[],
       /home/vspinu/bin/r-source/src/include/R_ext/stats_stubs.h
         S_nlminb_iterate(double b[], double d[], double fx, double g[], double	h[],

    I would rather prefer the way *grep* does that.

As we are on this, would be nice if *grep* and *xref* cold abbreviate
file-names by replacing home directory with ~/.

Thanks,

  Vitalie