Subject: bug#20484: bug#20202: Considered Harmful 73d213: 'Comint, term, and compile new set Emacs'

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 14:58:07 -0400

>> Maybe the best solution is to stop messing with $EMACS by default (and
>> hence change the behavior of sub-shells in negative ways for some
>> users), and then provide an easy way for those users to get back the
>> "fully featured" sub-shell they love.
> I don't think this will satisfy users of those shells.

I don't think "satisfy" is sufficiently well defined to be useful in
this conversation.

There's clearly a tradeoff to be made between bug#20202 and bug#20484.

IOW, right now people who suffer from bug#20202 are not satisfied either.

The ideal situation (which I think is the one that we should strive for
in the long-run) is to have Emacs not touch the $EMACS var (which will
address bug#20202).  So the question is how to get there.

It will most likely involve a bit of annoyance to some users along
the way.
But I think replacing $EMACS by $INSIDE_EMACS in their ~/.zshrc, or
adding some magic one-liner in their ~/.emacs is a rather
minor annoyance.

        Stefan