Subject: bug#20484: 25.0.50; Directory tracking in ansi-term broken.

From: Jacob Oursland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 19:33:01 +0000

Hi Glenn,

You are absolutely correct.  I'm not sure how I found the other commit at
fault, user error most definitely.

I'm not entirely sure how to approach this, locally even.  I guess I'll
have to build my own debian packages to revert this change.

Git master for Bash on Savannah doesn't even mention the INSIDE_EMACS
environment variable, so the current software simply will not work.  I
believe that beaab89896 only serves to break things with little gain (to
those who inappropriately used EMACS in their scripts).  It certainly
breaks things for users like me who exist almost entirely in Emacs.  Has
the intent to move away from the EMACS environment variable been
communicated to the Bash folks?

Thanks,
Jake

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 7:43 PM Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
> > Instead I find commit beaab89896 ("Stop messing with the EMACS env var")
> > causes this. But that was just a quick experiment, not a proper
> bisection.
>
> You should be able to verify this by using eg
>
> EMACS='24.5.1 (term:0.96)' emacs -Q -f ansi-term
>
> and seeing that it works again.
>
> I don't get
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-03/msg01034.html
>
> It's just going to break things for anybody running any released version
> of bash (as predicted in the preceding message). It will be a long time
> before all the systems Emacs supports default to a suitably recent bash.
>