Subject: bug#20484: bug#20202: Considered Harmful 73d213: 'Comint, term, and compile new set Emacs'

From: "Phillip Lord" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 19:12:46 +0100

On Fri, April 8, 2016 5:49 pm, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> EMACS=t is for the old versions of Bash and other shells that look at
>> that.
>
> What change in behavior has been observed by removing EMACS=t from
> comint?
>
> As far as I can tell, nobody has reported any change of behavior yet.
>

I worried about this -- why did line-editing not cause problems, given
that it is this that EMACS=t disables.

So I tested this by doing this:

bind -x '"\C-r"':reset

which gives a warning

bash: bind: warning: line editing not enabled

It turns out that M-x shell gives a warning in emacs-25 head AND
emacs-25.0.91. So it appears that the bash  EMACS=t handling is redundant,
at least with respect to line editing. M-x shell passed --noediting
through explicit-bash-args.

Phil