Subject: bug#20472: closed (Re: bug#20472: 24.4; Cannot switch buffers in a dedicated window - report this error earlier)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 09:49:03 +0000

Your bug report

#20472: 24.4; Cannot switch buffers in a dedicated window - report this error earlier

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20472: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20472
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20472: 24.4; Cannot switch buffers in a dedicated window - report this error earlier
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Ed Avis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 11:47:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Then let's make it customizable right away.

Installed with commit f743819..31d58d4 on trunk/master.  Bug closed.

Thanks, martin

Subject: 24.4; Cannot switch buffers in a dedicated window - report this error earlier
From: Ed Avis <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:33:11 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Sometimes Emacs creates a small window such as *log-edit-files*.
If you go to that window and do C-x b, you enter the name of the buffer
to switch to as usual, but then see the error

    Cannot switch buffers in a dedicated window

This error message should appear earlier, as soon as C-x b is given.
Emacs should not ask you to type in the new buffer name before it tells
you that switching buffers is not allowed.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2014-11-03 on wcl-linux04.wcl.local
Configured using:
 `configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC c g TAB C-a C-k C-x b G u TAB RET . TAB RET C-x 
v = ESC [ 6 ~ ESC [ 5 ~ C-x o C-x o C-x v = C-x v v 
R e d u c e SPC DEL d SPC f i l l i n g SPC f r o m 
SPC 1 0 0 SPC t o SPC 3 0 SPC d a t DEL y s SPC f o 
r SPC s o m e SPC m o n t h l y SPC s t r a t e g i 
e s . RET T h i s SPC c a n SPC b e SPC d o n e SPC 
n o w SPC t h e SPC h DEL g a p s SPC i n SPC C o n 
s e n e s u s DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL DEL 
C-x o C-x b b u TAB RET C-g C-g C-g C-x b b u TAB RET 
C-g C-g C-g C-x o C-x b b u TAB C-g C-x o C-x o C-x 
b * l o TAB g - e TAB C-g C-x b C-g C-x o C-x o C-x 
o ESC x C-g C-x b f a RET C-x b g g RET C-g C-g C-x 
o C-x b g g RET C a n n o t SPC s w i t c h SPC b u 
f f e r s SPC i n SPC a SPC d e d i c a t e d SPC w 
i n d o w C-x o C-x o C-x o C-@ C-a ESC w ESC x r e 
p o r SPC e SPC b SPC RET

Recent messages:
Press C-c C-c when you are done editing.
Enter a change comment.  Type C-c C-c when done
user-error: Cannot switch buffers in a dedicated window
Quit [3 times]
user-error: Cannot switch buffers in a dedicated window
Quit [4 times]
Making completion list...
Quit [3 times]
user-error: Cannot switch buffers in a dedicated window [2 times]
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail warnings dired-aux vc-bzr
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs mule-util macros smerge-mode rect novice
edmacro kmacro etags log-view nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sql view diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher tabify
imenu man sh-script smie executable pcmpl-rpm dabbrev ffap thingatpt
url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core gnus-util password-cache url-vars
nroff-mode help-mode dired misearch multi-isearch vc-git cus-edit
wid-edit cus-start cus-load perl-mode pcmpl-unix xterm time-date
log-edit easy-mmode message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util
add-log server csharp-mode advice help-fns byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs zoom-frm frame-cmds
frame-fns cl-macs avoid cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib compile shell pcomplete
comint ring ansi-color tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1254638 183358)
 (symbols 48 29960 0)
 (miscs 40 760 4364)
 (strings 32 63447 13092)
 (string-bytes 1 3117305)
 (vectors 16 32306)
 (vector-slots 8 1444102 177426)
 (floats 8 560 1031)
 (intervals 56 189950 392)
 (buffers 960 151)
 (heap 1024 93365 1704))

-- 
Ed Avis <[email-masked]>
Please ignore any autogenerated disclaimer below this line.

This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. Any retransmission, copying, disclosure or other use of, this information by persons other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material. This email is for information only and is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. Wadhwani Asset Management LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership registered in England (OC303168) with registered office at 40 Berkeley Square, 3rd Floor, London, W1J 5AL. It is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.