Subject: Re: bug#20463: 25.0.50; New deletion commands in buffer-menu [PATCH]

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 03:12:34 -0400

Filipp Gunbin wrote:

> What about these new commands in buffer-menu?  I find these useful in
> sessions with lots of buffers.
>
> `D m' Prompt for major mode name and delete all buffers in that mode.
>
> `D b' Prompt for regexp and mark for deletion all buffers with matching
> names.
>
> `D f' Prompt for regexp and mark for deletion all buffers with mathing
> file names.

IMO the right solution is to replace buffer-menu with the more
featureful ibuffer, which already does all those things and more.

It's a long-standing TODO item; eg
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-10/msg00305.html

(the length of that thread suggests it's one of those "fun" Emacs topics
with more heat than light.)