Subject: bug#20458: 24.5; Emacs renders the font taller than other applications

From: Fangwen Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 20:30:17 +0800

Emacs renders the font taller than Gnome Terminal and Gedit do when
using the same font. Here is a screenshot of Emacs and Gnome Terminal
using DejaVu Sans Mono size 11, http://i.imgur.com/Y86uSlY.png, in fact,
the font height in Emacs is identical to the height of size 12 in
Terminal.

The screenshot uses slight hinting, but with full hinting, Emacs renders
the font the same way as other GTK applications.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2015-04-15 on fedora
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
System Description: Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/emacs/'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
C-c C-c is undefined [3 times]
Quit
C-x C-g is undefined

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils smex
go-mode cl-macs edmacro kmacro derived url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap find-file ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars etags ring cl gv cl-loaddefs
cl-lib ido delsel paren elec-pair default-theme markdown-mode-autoloads
smex-autoloads package epg-config time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 142379 11195)
 (symbols 48 23370 0)
 (miscs 40 53 104)
 (strings 32 30006 14231)
 (string-bytes 1 777677)
 (vectors 16 15368)
 (vector-slots 8 448035 8096)
 (floats 8 86 222)
 (intervals 56 185 0)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 31960 1361))