Subject: Building on AIX 7.1 with GCC

From: Sevan Janiyan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 03:25:04 +0100

Hi,
Just ran into an issue which affects gzip, gettext & tar on AIX.

The configure tests for wctype.h & checks for the suitability of
wctype_t & wctrans_t.

It detects the presence of wctype.h but wctype_t & wctrans_t are
unsuitable at which point it tries to use its own bundled copy of
wctype.h. The build then fails as there's conflicting types for wctype_t
& wctrans_t.

In file included from quotearg.c:43:
./wctype.h:724: error: conflicting types for 'wctype_t'
/opt/freeware/lib/gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix6.1.0.0/4.2.0/include/ctype.h:119:
error: previous declaration of 'wctype_t' was here
./wctype.h:773: error: conflicting types for 'wctrans_t'
/usr/include/wctype.h:52: error: previous declaration of 'wctrans_t' was
here

bundled wctype.h:724 typedef void * wctype_t;
bundled wctype.h:773 typedef void * wctrans_t;

system wctype.h:52  typedef wint_t (*wctrans_t)();
gcc ctype.h:119 typedef unsigned int    wctype_t;

Passing ac_cv_header_wctype_h=no to the configure stage works but is a
work around for the issue.

Sevan