Subject: bug#20453: closed (Re: bug#20453: Building on AIX 7.1 with GCC)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 01:24:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20453: Building on AIX 7.1 with GCC

which was filed against the gzip package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20453: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20453
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20453: Building on AIX 7.1 with GCC
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Sevan Janiyan <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:22:57 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 4/28/15 19:25, Sevan Janiyan wrote:

> Just ran into an issue which affects gzip, gettext & tar on AIX.

Thanks for reporting that seven years ago. I just now tried building 
bleeding-edge gzip and gettext 0.21 on AIX 7.1 with xlc, and it worked 
for me.

gzip no longer uses quotearg, and gettext 0.21 compiles quotearg OK, so 
I'll assume this problem was fixed in Gnulib quotearg a while ago and we 
just hadn't gotten around to closing the gzip bug report, which I'll do now.

Subject: Building on AIX 7.1 with GCC
From: Sevan Janiyan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 03:25:04 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,
Just ran into an issue which affects gzip, gettext & tar on AIX.

The configure tests for wctype.h & checks for the suitability of
wctype_t & wctrans_t.

It detects the presence of wctype.h but wctype_t & wctrans_t are
unsuitable at which point it tries to use its own bundled copy of
wctype.h. The build then fails as there's conflicting types for wctype_t
& wctrans_t.

In file included from quotearg.c:43:
./wctype.h:724: error: conflicting types for 'wctype_t'
/opt/freeware/lib/gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix6.1.0.0/4.2.0/include/ctype.h:119:
error: previous declaration of 'wctype_t' was here
./wctype.h:773: error: conflicting types for 'wctrans_t'
/usr/include/wctype.h:52: error: previous declaration of 'wctrans_t' was
here

bundled wctype.h:724 typedef void * wctype_t;
bundled wctype.h:773 typedef void * wctrans_t;

system wctype.h:52  typedef wint_t (*wctrans_t)();
gcc ctype.h:119 typedef unsigned int    wctype_t;

Passing ac_cv_header_wctype_h=no to the configure stage works but is a
work around for the issue.

Sevan