Subject: Re: bug#20447: Gnus topic system limited

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 19:00:32 +0100

Sorry for the late response; due to a misunderstanding the Gnus bug
reports went to a part of the bug tracker I wasn't checking.

Joerg Jaspert <[email-masked]> writes:

> the topic system in gnus is nice and useful, but it's also limiting the
> user to only have one topic with one name. Which is annoying.

[...]

> That is a load of unneeded repetitions making it ugly.
>
> I would love if gnus allows topics to be unique only within a topic
> level. Yes, that may mean one can no longer use tab/backtab to
> (un)indent topics and entirely freely move them around - or if one does
> it would be valid for gnus to either complain or append randomness to
> the name until its unique again.

True, it would be better if the topics didn't have to be unique, but I
think it would be too much work to change this now.  And, as you point
out, moving topics around would potentially create collisions and stuff,
so I don't think it's worth it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no