Subject: Re: bug#20441: 24.5; Auto revert mode does not work

From: Kaushal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:01:19 +0000

Some more info,

When I do `C-h v auto-revert-use-notify` in that file buffer in emacs 24.4,
I get

auto-revert-use-notify is a variable defined in `autorevert.el'.
Its value is nil
Original value was t
Local in buffer abcd.txt; global value is t

But in emacs 24.5, the same `C-h v` shows

auto-revert-use-notify is a variable defined in `autorevert.el'.
Its value is t

It's unclear to me what's changing the local value of
`auto-revert-use-notify` to `nil` in an emacs -Q session on emacs 24.4. And
as the effective value of that var in that buffer is nil, auto reverting
works in emacs 24.4 right away without having to manually change the value
of that var to nil.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 4:48 PM Kaushal <[email-masked]> wrote:

> After doing `M-x global-auto-revert-mode` in an emacs -Q session, if I
> eval `(setq auto-revert-use-notify nil)`, auto revert starts working as
> before (in emacs 24.4).
>
> (Thanks to this comment on emacs.SE:
> http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/10966/global-auto-revert-mode-doesnt-seem-to-work#comment17031_10966
> )
>