Subject: bug#20417: 25.0.50; frequent crashes with global-auto-revert-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:48:31 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
>> Thanks!  May I close the bug, then?
>
> No, because the linked glib bug is still open, and the default behaviour
> of configure may use it by default.  See eg unapplied suggestion
> from http://debbugs.gnu.org/20417#8 .

In Emacs 25.1, the default file notification library is inotify for
GNU/Linux, kqueue for *BSD and OS X, and w32notify for MS Windows.

gfilenotify is the default library only for Cygwin. And there, we have a
similar bug#20927 about global-auto-revert-mode and file
notifications. The difference is, that Emacs does not crash there, but
makes Emacs unresponsive for a while.

Therefore, I would like to close *this* bug. We cannot do anything to
force a solution of the glib bug. Objections?

Best regards, Michael.