Subject: Re: bug#20403: Format of NEWS (navigating in it)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 08:27:23 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 06:02:42 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>, 
> 	Ulrich Windl <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Maybe the etc/NEWS symlink doesn't even need to be versioned.
> > The build process could construct it based on the version number.
> 
> That makes sense to me.  When creating source distribution tarballs,
> the file could simpy be copied or moved into place in case there are
> problems with symlinks on this or that platform (I guess MS-Windows?).

Tarballs with symlinks are problematic, so I'm against having symlinks
in the release tarball.  But we could make NEWS a copy of the
corresponding NEWS.XY when we produce the tarball, if that's what
people prefer.