Subject: bug#20402: HTTP and FTP proxies for guix package / guix-daemon

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 19:44:44 +0200

(Please always keep the bug email address Cc’d.)

"Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I suppose if I have a freshly built guix with "guix package -i guix"
> or "guix package -u guix" it should be using guile 2.0.11 then?
> Actually looking at the head of .../bin/guix it's referring to a
> guile-2.0.11.

Yes, so that should be OK.  And it’s Guix > 0.8.2, right?

> But guix-daemon still doesn't seem to be honoring http_proxy.

As a first test, could you check whether ‘guix download’ honors it?

A second test would be:

  1. Define ‘http_proxy’ in your user shell.
  2. From the same shell, run ‘guix build -S gcc --no-substitutes’, say.

Does that honor ‘http_proxy’?

And a third test is for substitutes: Are they also downloaded via the
proxy?  Here you need to:

  1. Define ‘http_proxy’ in a root shell.
  2. Run ‘guix-daemon’ from this shell.
  3. From a user shell, run ‘guix build gcc’, say, which should normally
     download a substitute from hydra.gnu.org rather than trying to build
     things.

Does the substitute download honor ‘http_proxy’?

Thanks in advance!

Ludo’.