Subject: bug#20396: closed (Re: bug#20396: 24.5; incorrect subject in replies)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:20:07 +0000

Your bug report

#20396: 24.5; incorrect subject in replies

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20396: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20396
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20396: 24.5; incorrect subject in replies
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:19:10 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.1

Thanks; applied.

Subject: 24.5; incorrect subject in replies
From: Nicolas Graner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:35:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When you reply to a message whose Subject starts with "Re: ", this is
normally stripped from the Subject before a new "Re: " is added in the
reply. But if the Subject is RFC2047-encoded, stripping does not
happen and you end up with "Re: Re: " in the reply.

Example: a message contains:

  Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Re:_caf=C3=A9?=

Rmail correctly displays it as:

  Subject: Re: café

with a final "e acute". But when you reply to it, the message header
contains:

  Subject: Re: Re: café

instead of just:

  Subject: Re: café

This does not happen when the Subject is entirely in US-ASCII and
therefore not RFC2047-encoded.

Nicolas Graner

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, GTK+ Version 3.14.10)
 of 2015-04-10 on desktop-new
Configured using:
 `configure
--srcdir=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-1.i686/src/emacs-24.5
--prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
--docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs/html -C
--without-gconf --without-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O2 -pipe
-Wimplicit-function-declaration
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-1.i686/build=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.5-1
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-1.i686/src/emacs-24.5=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.5-1'
CPPFLAGS= LDFLAGS='

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type M-x about-emacs.
Counting messages...done
(No new mail has arrived)
0 new messages read
Computing summary lines...done
Quit [3 times]
Counting messages...done
Computing summary lines...done
Mark saved where search started
Quit [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/bin/Emacs/undigest hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/mail/undigest

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug sendmail misearch
multi-isearch rmailsum qp rmailmm message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs
cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 93790 11554)
 (symbols 24 19153 0)
 (miscs 20 3184 1659)
 (strings 16 16576 3962)
 (string-bytes 1 615660)
 (vectors 8 8825)
 (vector-slots 4 372389 6818)
 (floats 8 71 296)
 (intervals 28 3228 827)
 (buffers 512 17))