Subject: bug#20390: 24.5; Bug 17705 patch not applied

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:16:44 -0400

The where-is command in help.el uses completing-read but doesn't use the
DEF argument. As a result, helm fails to choose the right default
when invoked. 

A simple patch for this was submitted with bug #17705. I'm not a
git user, but it seems to have been applied on 2014-06-12 as shown here:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/lisp/help.el?id=e016b8f1529872128f756098368c45d2cbb0ae2e

But I do not find the fix in Emacs 24.5.

Howard

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1347
Configured using:
`configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  eldoc-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /Users/hmelman/.simplenote2/.notes-info.el (source)...done
Loading hrm-packages...done
Loading hrm-helm...
ad-handle-definition: `tramp-read-passwd' got redefined
Helm completion enabled
Loading hrm-helm...done
Loading hrm-keys...done
Loading hrm...done
Finished loading ~/.emacs
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type M-x about-emacs.

Load-path shadows:
/Users/hmelman/.emacs.d/elpa/smartparens-20150419.833/smartparens hides /Users/hmelman/elisp/smartparens
/Users/hmelman/.emacs.d/elpa/google-this-20150226.2005/google-this hides /Users/hmelman/elisp/google-this

Features:
(shadow sort face-remap mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
winner helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval eldoc lisp-mnt helm-swoop
helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark pp helm-locate
helm-help helm-org helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp helm-plugin
grep helm-external helm-net browse-url xml helm-utils compile helm
helm-source helm-config edmacro kmacro async-bytecomp cl-macs async
helm-aliases hydra lv simplenote2 request-deferred deferred cl gv
request url-http tls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-gw mail-utils url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf mailcap hungry-delete
org-location-google-maps org-agenda google-maps google-maps-static
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars google-maps-geocode google-maps-base json org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-R ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint comint
ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs autoinsert advice help-fns
autorevert filenotify find-func info package epg-config dired-x dired
saveplace tango-theme which-func imenu paren recentf tree-widget
wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib easymenu cus-start cus-load time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 288365 13887)
(symbols 48 39156 0)
(miscs 40 84 129)
(strings 32 79275 9292)
(string-bytes 1 2343913)
(vectors 16 30500)
(vector-slots 8 600484 6828)
(floats 8 726 114)
(intervals 56 380 0)
(buffers 960 13))