Subject: bug#20389: closed (Re: bug#20389: A way to communicate announcements to developers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:38:03 +0000

Your bug report

#20389: A way to communicate announcements to developers

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20389: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20389
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20389: A way to communicate announcements to developers
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 21:37:19 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 19:22:33 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Doesn't enabling the topic filter mean that every subscriber must
> > update their subscription, to choose the topics to which they want to
> > subscribe?
> 
> "If you do not select any topics of interest, you will get all the
> messages sent to the mailing list."

Thanks.

I did what Glenn suggested for the mailing list changes.  One concern:
my reading of the "Topics" page is that the topic matcher scans the
_body_ of the message, so the suggestion to use "Keywords:
emacs-announce" in the _headers_ of the mail will probably not work.
Or maybe I misunderstood what Glenn meant by that.

I did nothing about item 4 in Glenn's message.

Subject: A way to communicate announcements to developers
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:56:23 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs
Severity: wishlist
Version: 24.5

(Bug report to remind about
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-12/msg00851.html)

Please create a mechanism to communicate important announcements
(feature freezes, etc) to emacs developers.
No-one should have to read (all of) emacs-devel, it's too noisy.
And the info-gnu-emacs list is not appropriate for this IMO.

FWIW, here's what I would do. It'd only take a few mins to set up:

1. Go to https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admin/emacs-devel/topics

2. Enable topic filter.

3. Add topic name "emacs-announce"; regexp "emacs-announce"; description
"announcements all Emacs developers should read".
(Using just "announce" may lead to false positives?)

4. Document that developers should subscribe to emacs-devel and at
least subscribe to the "emacs-announce" topic. Whether or not they also
choose to "receive messages that do not match any topic filter" is up
to the individual.

5. Use "Keywords: emacs-announce" in the header of relevant mails.
Better (?) to use keywords: than the subject: header, to avoid all the
replies to said subject being sent out as announcements too. If you
forget to add it to a message, you or anyone else can just resend it.