Subject: 24.4; History malfunction by special directory names

From: Li Ian-Xue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 02:08:07 +0800

As i tried to edit some files within a directory named "c#", and used
eshell to call the compiler, I soon discovered that eshell's history
function had no entries by pressing <UP> or <M-p> even though there
should be some. This should be easily verifiable by creating a directory
with the name "c#" and switching working directory into it.

Furthermore, it would seem that the history record is written, but
cannot be read correctly, since as one move of the directory in
question, <UP> or <M-p> calls whatever I have typed when I was in there.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.3)
 of 2015-03-23 on build12
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
System Description:	openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)

Configured using:
 `configure --with-pop --without-hesiod --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-xim --with-wide-int --with-file-notification=inotify
 --enable-autodepend
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-
lisp
 --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --with-x --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg
 --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --x-includes=/usr/include
 --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-xft --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt
 --build=x86_64-suse-linux 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0
 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -D_GNU_SOURCE -pipe
 -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -Wno-unprototyped-calls -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fno-PIE
 -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 '
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2 -Wl,--hash-size=65521''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: zh_TW.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=hime
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: EShell

Minor modes in effect:
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
E " ) C-x C-s C-x 3 C-x o <menu> e s h e l <return> 
C-g <menu> e s h e l l <return> c d SPC <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> m s c SPC <return> m c s <return> 
l s <return> m c s SPC h e l <tab> l <tab> o <tab> 
. c <tab> s <tab> <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> <S-left> 
<up> <up> <down> <down> M-b M-b M-b M-f <right> <delete> 
G C-x C-s <S-right> <up> <return> <up> M-p M-p <up> 
<down> <up> s t a <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
M-p C-p C-n <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> m c s SPC h e l <tab> l o . c s <return> 
m o n o <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
m o n o SPC M-. C-g ! $ <return> <backspace> <backspace> 
h e l <tab> l o <tab> <tab> . c s <return> <up> <backspace> 
M-f M-p M-p M-p M-p M-p M-p M-p M-p M-p M-p C-p C-p 
M-M <down> <down> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<up> <up> <up> C-c C-c <up> <up> <up> <right> <up> 
<left> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<left> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <f1> k <up> q M-p M-p 
<backspace> M-p M-p M-p M-p <up> <left> <left> <up> 
<left> C-p <right> <up> <up> <up> <left> <left> <up> 
<left> <left> <left> C-p C-p <up> <up> <up> <right> 
<left> <down> <left> <right> <right> <down> <left> 
<right> <down> <left> <right> <up> <left> <return> 
<return> <right> <left> <down> <right> C-c C-c <return> 
<return> <up> <up> <down> <down> <return> <return> 
c d SPC . . <return> <up> <up> <down> <down> C-a C-k 
<return> <return> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-c 
C-a C-k <menu> b u g SPC r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
History item: 128
History item: 127
History item: 128
History item: 1
History item: 128
History item: 127
History item: 126
History item: 125
History item: 124
History item: 123

Load-path shadows:
/home/b4283/.emacs.d/elpa/php-mode-20140923.1250/php-mode hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/php-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
find-func etags em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script
em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic
em-banner em-alias esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util emacsbug sendmail
helm-dabbrev helm-elisp helm-eval eldoc imenu csharp-mode image-file ido
cc-langs warnings cl cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vc-git autoload lisp-mnt
help-mode misearch multi-isearch mule-util mm-archive message rfc822 mml
mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-utils network-stream starttls url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers epg
finder-inf linum helm-mode helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x dired-aux
ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark
helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
mailcap helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-locate helm-help helm-match-plugin
helm-grep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
ansi-color ring helm advice help-fns cl-macs gv helm-config edmacro
kmacro helm-aliases cl-loaddefs cl-lib flatland-theme windmove
afternoon-theme-autoloads cherry-blossom-theme-autoloads
color-theme-sanityinc-solarized-autoloads
color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow-autoloads color-theme-solarized-autoloads
color-theme-autoloads colorsarenice-theme-autoloads
cyberpunk-theme-autoloads darkburn-theme-autoloads
espresso-theme-autoloads firebelly-theme-autoloads
flatland-theme-autoloads flatui-theme-autoloads gandalf-theme-autoloads
geiser-autoloads info easymenu helm-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads
php-mode-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads toml-mode-autoloads package
epg-config paren ispell time-date china-util delsel lpr tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 677625 44715)
 (symbols 48 35884 2)
 (miscs 40 633 895)
 (strings 32 91770 15552)
 (string-bytes 1 2483816)
 (vectors 16 40996)
 (vector-slots 8 1521097 112406)
 (floats 8 161 406)
 (intervals 56 71664 1310)
 (buffers 960 27)
 (heap 1024 62579 3978))