Subject: Re: bug#20385: [PROPOSED PATCH] Support quoting 'like this' in doc strings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 17:52:43 +0300

> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 20:45:55 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > we need some clever way to type them in with very little effort.
> 
> Something like smart-quotes-mode, say?
> 
> https://github.com/gareth-rees/smart-quotes

The solution that mode suggests for spell-checking will not work well
with modern spellers (aspell and hunspell), because they don't have
the curly apostrophe/quote character in their *.aff files' rules, like
they do with the ASCII apostrophe.

So if we want this to become our default, we need changes in
ispell.el, to replace ’ with ' before we sent it to the speller.  Or
maybe recommend users to install *.aff files that already support ’,
assuming such dictionaries exist.