Subject: Re: bug#20385: [PATCH] Support curved quotes in doc strings

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 11:27:42 +0300

On 05/16/2015 04:48 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:

> Familiar to those who know Markdown, yes.  However, English quoting is
> more familiar to English writers, and far more people know English than
> know both English and Markdown.

How many of them are used to seeing a fancy quote after typing a backtick?

On the other hand, I've noticed that users familiar with Markdown 
consider the `' situation normal, if they treat it like markup (not 
punctuation).

> It could easily do so, in a Hungarian locale.  The characters are
> programmable.

We can do virtually anything. But it's a complication.

> It's not weird.  It's ordinary English markup.

No, it's punctuation, not markup. There's no markup in English.

>> The end result, visually, would be the same.
>
> We don't care only about what appears in Emacs after one types C-h.

I'm not talking about that.

> what we see on the screen when we're
> editing is important.  (Otherwise we'd probably be editing SGML by hand,
> eeeyyyucckkk.)

Indeed, you will see the fancy quotes on the screen while editing source 
files, even if something else will get saved to disk. font-lock is handy 
that way.