Subject: bug#20384: closed (Re: bug#20384: 24.5; feature suggestion: in dired-mode, "Z" on a directory should create a tarball or zip file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:58:03 +0000

Your bug report

#20384: 24.5; feature suggestion: in dired-mode, "Z" on a directory should create a tarball or zip file

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20384: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20384
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20384: 24.5; feature suggestion: in dired-mode, "Z" on a directory should create a tarball or zip file
From: Oleh Krehel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>, Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:57:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks, I've installed a change for this in master:

- "Z" on dirname will run "tar -czf dirname.tar.gz dirname"
- "Z" on dirname.tar.gz will run "tar -zxvf dirname"

    Oleh

Subject: 24.5; feature suggestion: in dired-mode, "Z" on a directory should create a tarball or zip file
From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:54:50 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I just ran dired, put point on the name of a subdirectory, and hit Z
(dired-do-compress), hoping that maybe Emacs would offer to create a
compressed tarball or zip file out of the directory.  Alas, it simply
said "gzip: /private/tmp/rs5rack12.2015-04-19.1109PDT is a directory".

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1347.57)
 of 2015-04-10 on Eric-Hanchrows-iMac.local
Repository revision: f8bb8c4045e94290aa564c38215e5ea5552ae778
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1347
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by date

Minor modes in effect:
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
~
/tmp
Deleting...done
z is undefined
Z runs the command dired-do-compress
Compress or uncompress rs5rack12.2015-04-19.1109PDT? (y or n) y
Compressing /private/tmp/rs5rack12.2015-04-19.1109PDT...
gzip ("-f" "/private/tmp/rs5rack12.2015-04-19.1109PDT")
gzip: /private/tmp/rs5rack12.2015-04-19.1109PDT is a directory
Failed to compress/private/tmp/rs5rack12.2015-04-19.1109PDT

Load-path shadows:
/Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/elpa/edit-list-20100930.743/edit-list hides
/Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/lisp/edit-list
/Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/elpa/browse-kill-ring-20150104.1237/browse-kill-ring
hides /Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/lisp/browse-kill-ring

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail dired-aux wdired ffap dabbrev
cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ag vc-svn find-dired s ucs-normalize misearch
multi-isearch company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-eclim company-template
company-css company-nxml company-bbdb vc vc-dispatcher align flyspell
ispell whitespace markdown-mode noutline outline smerge-mode eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe help-macro iedit-lib rect tar-mode
pcase autoload lisp-mnt mule-util mm-archive network-stream starttls
url-cache url-handlers finder-inf hl-line protbuf gist gh-gist gh-oauth
gh-api logito gh-cache pcache gh-auth gh-common gh-url url-http tls url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap
url-auth url-cookie url-domsuf url-gw gh-profile timezone eieio-base
magit-key-mode magit view epa epg diff-mode git-rebase-mode
git-commit-mode log-edit easy-mmode message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log vc-git
projectile dash thingatpt derived autorevert filenotify elisp-slime-nav
paste-to-dropbox path ssh server warnings saveplace url-util url-parse
url-vars find-func ibuf-ext ibuf-macs ibuffer tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec advice recentf
tree-widget dired-x dired perl-extras perl-mode autoinsert cl-macs
yasnippet help-mode cl gv highlight-indentation flymake eldoc company
edmacro kmacro help-fns elpy pyvenv elpy-refactor python json ido grep
compile comint ansi-color files-x etags ring cus-edit cus-start cus-load
wid-edit eredis-autoloads eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv eieio-core go-mode-autoloads logito-autoloads
info easymenu puppetfile-mode-autoloads package epg-config time rx
midnight time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process cocoa ns
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 979592 128965)
 (symbols 48 50773 0)
 (miscs 40 8158 3676)
 (strings 32 149573 5241)
 (string-bytes 1 3812416)
 (vectors 16 68756)
 (vector-slots 8 1912031 53995)
 (floats 8 769 2914)
 (intervals 56 86484 2838)
 (buffers 960 79))