Subject: bug#20381: closed (Re: bug#20381: Interacting with a remote daemon)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:26:03 +0000

Your bug report

#20381: Document how to interact with a remote daemon

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20381: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20381
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20381: Interacting with a remote daemon
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 12:24:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> In <http://elephly.net/posts/2015-04-17-gnu-guix.html>, Ricardo notes:
>
>   At some point I think it would make sense to enhance Guix such that
>   RPCs can be made over SSH, so that explicit logging on to a management
>   machine is no longer necessary.
>
> We should see exactly how much support is needed.
>
> Is ‘socat’ enough, as suggested in
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/msg00680.html>?
> That means there would be no authentication, but maybe that’s acceptable
> in a cluster that is isolated on its own LAN anyway.
>
> Option #2 would be to augment (guix store) and guix-daemon so that there
> is built-in support for TCP sockets, which would be slightly more
> convenient.
>
> Option #3 would be to make (guix store) SSH-capable, with Guile-SSH.
> But it sounds like SSH would incur relatively high latency when
> connecting to the daemon.

I think this is fixed by this series of commits:

  285f63e80 * store: Support 'ssh://' URIs in 'GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET'.
  e53783372 * ssh: Decompose 'connect-to-remote-daemon'.
  615c5298f * ssh: Move 'open-ssh-session' to (guix ssh).
  ba97e454b * offload: Avoid using '_' as a 'match' pattern.
  3dff90ce3 * store: Add support for remote connections via 'guix://' URIs.
  3b5cd17a9 * store: Add 'system-error-to-connection-error' macro.
  1397b422e * store: 'GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET' can now be a URI.

with the caveats given here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-04/msg00487.html

Closing!

Ludo’.

Subject: Interacting with a remote daemon
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:47:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In <http://elephly.net/posts/2015-04-17-gnu-guix.html>, Ricardo notes:

  At some point I think it would make sense to enhance Guix such that
  RPCs can be made over SSH, so that explicit logging on to a management
  machine is no longer necessary.

We should see exactly how much support is needed.

Is ‘socat’ enough, as suggested in
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/msg00680.html>?
That means there would be no authentication, but maybe that’s acceptable
in a cluster that is isolated on its own LAN anyway.

Option #2 would be to augment (guix store) and guix-daemon so that there
is built-in support for TCP sockets, which would be slightly more
convenient.

Option #3 would be to make (guix store) SSH-capable, with Guile-SSH.
But it sounds like SSH would incur relatively high latency when
connecting to the daemon.

There remains the problem that /var/guix/profiles/per-user/$USER would
have to be writable to this to be useful.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.