Subject: bug#20369: Rendering problems and fill column

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 15:11:43 -0600

Mark Karpov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I use `fill-column-indicator' package, however, it introduces some
> rendering problems, see this issue for example (other issues are also
> known):
>
> https://github.com/alpaker/Fill-Column-Indicator/issues/58
>
> It may seem to be not a problem of vanilla Emacs, but the author of the
> package says:
>
>> This appears to be a regression in Emacs's display engine's handling
>> of cursor text properties. I'll look into isolating the underlying
>> issue and filing a bug report. I'll report back here (and close this
>> issue) after doing so.
>
> Not sure if he did so or not. If it's really a regression in Emacs's
> display engine, can we hope that it will be fixed in Emacs 25? Also, in
> my opinion, indication of fill column must be a built-in feature,
> because it's even more important than indication of empty lines at the
> end of file (which is implemented).
>
> What is your opinion on this problem?

It seems like the author of Fill-Column-Indicator is now recommending
the use of "display-fill-column-indicator":

> The functionality provided by this package has now been implemented
> natively in Emacs as display-fill-column-indicator-mode, available as of
> version 27.0.90. Unless you are forced to use an older Emacs, you should
> use the native implementation instead of fci-mode. It's unaffected by
> most of the compatibility issues that this add-on has.

https://github.com/alpaker/fill-column-indicator

Does that mean that this bug could be closed, or is there more to do
here?