Subject: bug#20365: 24.5; all-completions returns duplicates for Info-read-node-name-1

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 13:41:17 -0400

Just a first comment: it's not considered incorrect for
`all-completions' to return a list with duplicate entries in it.
More specifically, it's considered the completion UI's job to remove
those duplicates.

>   (setq x (all-completions "(" 'Info-read-node-name-1))
> x will contain many duplicates for each node, like "org" "org" "org"
> "org" "org.info.gz" "org" "org.info.gz" "org" "org.info.gz".

Maybe the way these entries are generated could be reviewed to try and
reduce the number of duplicates.  And we could call `delete-dups' on the
result: while a completion-table shouldn't need to go out of its way to
reduce the number of duplicates (since the UI is supposed to handle it
anyway), it's probably good to avoid having such expected large number of
duplicates, indeed.

> Finally, if one of the elements of `all-completions' is passed, it still
> doesn't work.

What does "is passed" mean here?  What does "doesn't work" mean here?

> I'm guessing that it expects "(org)" instead of "org", but
> then why not offer these on the completion list?

What is "it"?

        Stefan