Subject: bug#20360: 24.4; Line Spacing Centering Incorrect

From: Renato Ferreira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 09:05:00 -0300

Hello Eli, thanks for looking into it!

I think a great description of how it should be implemented can be found
here:
http://www.dev-archive.net/articles/line-height.html

Which is based on the CSS specifications.

I don't know either if any packages rely on it but i think if it did the
change would be aesthetically better in every case i can think of so IMHO
the implementation doesn't have to provide backwards compat.

Thanks again!
Renato

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Renato Ferreira <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:01:21 -0300
>> 
>> IMHO it would look so much better with the centered content, that's why
>> most other programs implement it that way. It looks too terrible only
>> after the content, specially with things like highlight and boxing.
>> 
>> Is there no possible way to change it ? Do you suggest any good
>> workaround ?
>
> Doing that would require changes on the C level, because line spacing
> is implemented in the display engine.  AFAICS, it looks like a simple
> change, but Someone(TM) should describe the details of how
> line-spacing should be distributed between above and below the base
> character line, because I have no idea what is TRT here.
>
> Also, I don't know whether any packages out there rely on the current
> implementation; if they do, we will have to introduce an option to
> control this behavior, so that the old behavior could be preserved if
> needed.