Subject: bug#20353: closed (Re: bug#20353: M-. sometimes jumps in another window)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 09:47:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20353: M-. sometimes jumps in another window

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20353: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20353
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20353: M-. sometimes jumps in another window
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 11:46:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Bug closed.

Thanks, martin

Subject: M-. sometimes jumps in another window
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 01:03:41 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: Emacs
Version: 25.0.50

I tend to use many frames.  When I hit M-. I sometimes get a new popup
frame asking me to choose a destination.  All good so far.

But sometimes once I choose my destination, xref choose the wrong window
to display that destination.  More specifically I get the following scenario:

- Window 1 (in frame 1) showing buffer B.
- Window 2 (in frame 2) showing buffer B as well.
- In window 1 I do M-.
- Get a popup to choose the destination.
- Choose some destination D which is also in buffer B.
- And here's the downer: sometimes Emacs decides to then select window
  2 to jump to D, instead of using the window 1 for that.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2015-04-14 on pastel
Repository revision: 12f00667ebea0fe4c1e173f9d15192c75471d9d3
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure -C --enable-checking --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g3 -Og -Wno-pointer-sign'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/monnier/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  c-electric-flag: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/eshell/em-cmpl.el...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/eshell/em-cmpl.el
Mark saved where search started
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/eshell/em-cmpl.el...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/eshell/em-cmpl.el
Quit
Warning: turn-on-eldoc-mode is obsolete!
Warning: hide-sublevels is obsolete!
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/pcomplete.el...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/pcomplete.el

Load-path shadows:
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-ref-man hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-ref-man/ada-ref-man
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-prj hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-prj
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-stmt hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-stmt
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-mode hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-mode
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-xref hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-xref
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/crisp/crisp hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/crisp

Features:
(erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete
erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat dabbrev conf-mode autorevert
filenotify reftex-dcr reftex reftex-vars tex-mode latexenc rect
cal-french diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-move org-timer org-table
org-colview org-clock org-attach org-id org-archive org-agenda org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m reporter org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs derived csv-mode mule-util network-stream nsm
starttls tls mpc vc-annotate log-view vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir reposition shell pcomplete grep etags xref sort
mail-extr emacsbug semantic/bovine/c semantic/db-mode
semantic/decorate/include semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse
semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp semantic/idle semantic/bovine/gcc
semantic/dep semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs semantic/db-find
semantic/db-ref semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db eieio-base semantic/ctxt
semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet hideif cpp cmacexp cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs compile log-edit
message sendmail dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev mail-utils mailheader pcvs-util bug-reference add-log ffap
misearch multi-isearch smerge-mode whitespace executable copyright
xscheme unsafep trace testcover shadow scheme re-builder profiler
inf-lisp ielm pp comint ansi-color ring gmm-utils ert ewoc debug elp
edebug cl-indent cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit vc vc-dispatcher
vc-git diff-mode filecache eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
find-func server noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell checkdoc
thingatpt help-mode load-dir elec-pair url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio warnings eieio-core cl-generic byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars reveal autoinsert proof-site proof-autoloads
cl-macs cl gv pg-vars savehist minibuf-eldef disp-table edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib advice help-fns info easymenu finder-inf
package epg-config bbdb-autoloads agda2 vm-autoloads tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 628619 145706)
 (symbols 24 41806 3) (miscs 20 15658 2825) (strings 16 129418 20270)
 (string-bytes 1 3708997)
 (vectors 8 77697) (vector-slots 4 2432223 117318) (floats 8 792 990)
 (intervals 28 50798 4135)
 (buffers 520 91) (heap 1024 595874 13811))