Subject: Re: bug#20353: M-. sometimes jumps in another window

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:17:20 +0300

On 04/20/2015 05:17 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> q --> the frame is simply buried
>
> That is correct for my use-case (mostly because it preserves the frame
> placement).

(setq special-display-regexps (list "^\\*"))

Split the window (into A and B).

Type `C-h f quit-window' in window A. See the new frame pop up, and the 
windowing system switch to it.

Press `q', the new frame is buried, focus returns to A.

Switch to B. Type `C-h f car' there. In my desktop environment (Ubuntu, 
Unity), the help frame stays in the background. If I explicitly switch 
to it (with `C-~') and press `q' in the Help window, the frame is buried 
again, but again, the focus returns to A.

Which mirrors the problem you've described in this report.

Maybe not deleting the frames is not the real problem, but them the 
problem is in some other window-related functionality.