Subject: bug#20352: Factor 2 slow down of font-locking in c-mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:41:08 -0400

Package: Emacs
Version: 25.0.50

   src/emacs -Q -nw src/xdisp.c 					 \
       --eval "(progn (font-lock-fontify-region (point-min) (point-max)) \
                      (kill-emacs))"

Is about twice as slow with the code from "master" as it is with the
code from the emacs-24 branch.

        Stefan

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2015-04-14 on pastel
Repository revision: 12f00667ebea0fe4c1e173f9d15192c75471d9d3
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure -C --enable-checking --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g3 -Og -Wno-pointer-sign'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/monnier/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: InactiveMinibuffer

Minor modes in effect:
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  c-electric-flag: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Continuing.
up-list: Search failed: "mapconcat"
Mark set
Auto-saving...
Saving file /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/etags.el...
Wrote /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/etags.el
Undo! [2 times]
Mark set
user-error: No next conflict
user-error: No previous conflict

Load-path shadows:
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-ref-man hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-ref-man/ada-ref-man
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-prj hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-prj
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-stmt hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-stmt
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-mode hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-mode
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/ada-mode/ada-xref hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/progmodes/ada-xref
/home/monnier/src/emacs/elpa/packages/crisp/crisp hides /home/monnier/src/emacs/work/lisp/obsolete/crisp

Features:
(cal-french diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-move org-timer org-table
org-colview org-clock org-attach org-id org-archive org-agenda org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m reporter org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs derived csv-mode mule-util network-stream nsm
starttls tls mpc vc-annotate log-view vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir reposition shell pcomplete grep etags xref sort
mail-extr emacsbug semantic/bovine/c semantic/db-mode
semantic/decorate/include semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse
semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp semantic/idle semantic/bovine/gcc
semantic/dep semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs semantic/db-find
semantic/db-ref semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db eieio-base semantic/ctxt
semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet hideif cpp cmacexp cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-langs cc-vars cc-defs compile log-edit
message sendmail dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev mail-utils mailheader pcvs-util bug-reference add-log ffap
misearch multi-isearch smerge-mode whitespace executable copyright
xscheme unsafep trace testcover shadow scheme re-builder profiler
inf-lisp ielm pp comint ansi-color ring gmm-utils ert ewoc debug elp
edebug cl-indent cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit vc vc-dispatcher
vc-git diff-mode filecache eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
find-func server noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell checkdoc
thingatpt help-mode load-dir elec-pair url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio warnings eieio-core cl-generic byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars reveal autoinsert proof-site proof-autoloads
cl-macs cl gv pg-vars savehist minibuf-eldef disp-table edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib advice help-fns info easymenu finder-inf
package epg-config bbdb-autoloads agda2 vm-autoloads tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 651814 116033)
 (symbols 24 38858 3) (miscs 20 18909 1482) (strings 16 119446 20729)
 (string-bytes 1 3435542)
 (vectors 8 69693) (vector-slots 4 2293433 165150) (floats 8 749 960)
 (intervals 28 67097 2488)
 (buffers 520 87) (heap 1024 583857 25828))