Subject: bug#20309: 25.0.50; Coding conversion error during clojure-mode package upgrade

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 02:57:59 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> The package is being installed from MELPA, the file can be viewed at
> http://melpa.org/packages/clojure-mode-20150410.2319.el.

The latest version seems to be available here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/clojure-emacs/clojure-mode/master/clojure-mode.el

> Viewing it in the browser (or downloading and opening in `less')
> displays those copyright characters just fine.
>
> Not so here, see the attached screenshot.

I can't reproduce this on current master.  I believe that it has been
fixed by the following commit (if not before):

commit 5f9671e57ee99cfe4653b2cb6aca16d52f9a5c53
Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat May 18 18:32:47 2019 -0400

    * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: Fix decoding of downloaded files

    This is a different fix for bug#34909, which should also fix bug#35739.

    Our downloading code used to automatically decode the result according
    to the usual heuristics for files.  This caused problems when we later
    needed to save the data in a file that needed to be byte-for-byte
    equal to the original in order to pass the signature verification,
    especially because we didn't keep track of which coding-system was
    used to decode the data.

There is also a separate fix installed on the now released Emacs 26.3.

Could you please test this on Emacs 26.3 or the current master branch
and see if it works for you?

If I don't hear back from you within a couple of weeks, I'll just close
this as unreproducible.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas