Subject: bug#20305: 11.88; View command does not use xdvi but dvips file.dvi -o && gv file.ps

From: Uwe Brauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:16:55 +0200

Hello

This is not really a *bug* but:

I run 11.88 either in GNU Emacs 24 or in Xemacs 21.5.
Since almost a year I have 
TeX-PDF-mode on. However since I find the behaviour of 
TeX-next-error better in LaTeX mode than in TeX-PDF-mode, I sometimes
turn TeX-PDF-mode off. Now I just found out that running 
C-c C-v does not call xdvi but instead
dvips file.dvi -o && gv file.ps

(Both in GNU emacs and in Xemacs)
I find this counter intuitive. How can I switch back to the older
behaviour. I have not touched the View command via custom.

Uwe Brauer 

Emacs  : XEmacs 21.5  (beta34) "kale" 58e72e27fb81+ [Lucid] (i686-pc-linux, Mule) of Wed Mar 18 2015 on Gilgamesch
Package: 11.88

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2014-10-29"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/usr/local/var/auctex/"
				  "/usr/local/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/etc/auctex/style"
				  "/home/oub/.emacs.d/auctex/auto" "/home/oub/.emacs.d/auctex/style"
				  "auto" "style" "/home/oub/tex/sty/auto")
 TeX-auto-save t
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master nil
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(extraopts) %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
					 TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-tex-mode texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode) :help
					 "Run plain TeX")
					("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil (latex-mode doctex-mode)
					 :help "Run LaTeX")
					("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-compile nil
					 (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
					("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t" TeX-run-compile
					 nil (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
					("AmSTeX" "%(PDF)amstex %(extraopts) %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t"
					 TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
					("ConTeXt" "texexec --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
					 TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
					("ConTeXt Full" "texexec %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
					 (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until completion")
					("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help "Run BibTeX")
					("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run Biber")
					("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help "Run Viewer")
					("evince" "/usr/bin/evince %G" TeX-run-command t t)
					("xpdf" "/usr/bin/xpdf %G" TeX-run-command t t)
					("fullxpdf" "/usr/bin/xpdf -fullscreen %G" TeX-run-command t t)
					("oolatex" "/usr/share/tex4ht/oolatex %t" TeX-run-command t t)
					("panlatex2odt" "pandoc -s -R -f latex --toc %t -t odt -o %O"
					 TeX-run-command t t)
					("panlatex2rtf" "pandoc -s -R -f latex --toc %t -t rtf -o %R"
					 TeX-run-command t t)
					("latex2rtf" "latex2rtf -f0 %t" TeX-run-command nil t)
					("oabiword" "abiword %O" TeX-run-command nil t)
					("rabiword" "abiword %R" TeX-run-command t t)
					("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
					("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
					 "View the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
					("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f | ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-command t t :help
					 "Generate PostScript file")
					("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
					 "Create index file")
					("makenomen" "makeindex %s.nlo -s nomencl.ist -o %s.nls"
					 TeX-run-command t t)
					("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
					 "Run xindy to create index file")
					("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
					 "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
					("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
					 "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
					("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil t :help
					 "Spell-check the document")
					("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
					 "Delete generated intermediate files")
					("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
					 "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
					("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an arbitrary command"))
 )