Subject: 24.3; cannot build latest git pull

From: John ffitch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 14:45:04 +0100

***NOT on this emacs***

As ever I dd a git-pull; make and it barfed.  Tried make clean; make
and it is the samr
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp'
  GEN      loaddefs.el
Directories: . ./international ./erc ./net ./url ./mh-e ./progmodes ./textmodes ./calendar ./vc ./emulation ./play ./eshell ./cedet ./cedet/semantic ./cedet/semantic/symref ./cedet/semantic/analyze ./cedet/semantic/bovine ./cedet/semantic/wisent ./cedet/semantic/decorate ./cedet/ede ./cedet/srecode ./calc ./emacs-lisp ./mail ./gnus ./leim ./leim/ja-dic ./leim/quail ./org ./language ./nxml
Source file `/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp-mnt.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Source file `/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp/vc/diff-mode.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while let-bound!
Source file `/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/pcase.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Symbol's function definition is void: vc-responsible-backend
make[2]: *** [loaddefs.el] Error 255
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/lisp'
make[1]: *** [../lisp/loaddefs.el] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jpff/GNU/emacs/src'
make: *** [src] Error 2

How can I restore?  
64bit OpenSuSE13.1

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2014-11-12 on cloud104
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403901
System Description:     openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)

Configured using:
 `configure '--with-pop' '--without-hesiod' '--with-kerberos'
 '--with-kerberos5' '--with-xim' '--with-wide-int'
 '--enable-autodepend' '--prefix=/usr' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--datadir=/usr/share'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--with-x' '--with-sound' '--with-xpm'
 '--with-jpeg' '--with-tiff' '--with-gif' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg'
 '--with-dbus' '--without-gpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3'
 '--x-includes=/usr/include' '--x-libraries=/usr/lib64' '--with-xft'
 '--with-libotf' '--with-m17n-flt' '--build=x86_64-suse-linux'
 'build_alias=x86_64-suse-linux' 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0
 -grecord-gcc-switches -fstack-protector -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -std=gnu89 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable
 -Wno-unused-label -Wno-unprototyped-calls -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
 -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 '
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2 -Wl,--hash-size=65521''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x m a i l <return> C-x k <return> M-x e m a c s - 
r e <tab> <backspace> <backspace> b <tab> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> b u g <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e 
p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /home/jpff/mail-filter.elc...done
Loading logger...done
Loading /home/jpff/myemacs.elc...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
uncompressing mailcrypt.el.gz...done
Loading mail-extr...done
Parsing /home/jpff/.mailrc... done
You can run the command `mail' with M-m
Parsing /home/jpff/.mailrc... done
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/a2ps hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/a2ps
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/gnuplot-gui hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnuplot-gui
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/site-start hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/a2ps-print hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/a2ps-print
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/rmime hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rmime
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/suse-start-po-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/suse-start-po-mode
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/rmailgen hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rmailgen
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/po-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/po-mode
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/po-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/po-compat
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnuplot
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/scroll-lock hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/scroll-lock
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/t-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/t-mouse
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/ruler-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/ruler-mode
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/emerge hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/vc/emerge
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-auth hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-auth
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-ns hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-ns
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-news hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-news
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-parse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-parse
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-cache hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-cache
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-file hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-file
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-cookie hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-cookie
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-misc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-misc
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-ldap hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-ldap
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-gw hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-gw
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-http hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-http
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-nfs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-nfs
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-irc
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-vars hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-vars
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/url-cid hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/url/url-cid
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/remember hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/remember
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/cc-guess hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-guess
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/socks hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/socks
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/feedmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/mail/feedmail
/home/jpff/GNU/local-lisp/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/spam-stat

Features:
(shadow emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader mailabbrev
mailalias mailcrypt mail-extr comint ansi-color ring jka-compr
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
eldoc image-file logger cal-julian uniquify advice help-fns cl-lib
advice-preload view mule-util cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
lunar solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs holidays
hol-loaddefs cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs time paren ispell
time-date delsel lpr disp-table tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

==John ffitch
There is not the vaguest truth in this.
  I have not even speculated on it with the Dean/VC/etc,
  so I don't know where it comes from.