Subject: RE: 23.0.60; doc string of dired-guess-shell-alist-user

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:21:38 -0700

> I disagree, and I'm closing this report.

Then please change the status from `fixed' to `wontfix', Lars.

You did not fix anything that was reported.

And there were several points raised - all ignored.  ("\\.bar\'" to "\\.bar\\'"
had apparently already been corrected.)  You even left the inappropriate
uppercase for the fictitious command names.

All you did AFAICT was change the calls to `list' to a quoted list constant - no
relation to the bug report.  Worse - part of the bug report was precisely that
there is no sense in showing an example with `setq', especially if the value is
a _constant_.

There is no reason to show _setting_ the value - in any way.  It is fine to show
an example value though (provided it is cleaned up, as suggested), if it helps
to understand the structure etc.  But no reason to show how to set it.

If for some reason (and there is none here) we did need to mention how to set
this option's value, then general Emacs policy calls for privileging Customize
in the doc.

You not only insisted that the doc string show how to set the value (useless),
but that it continue to do so using `setq' - not even `customize-set-variable'.
The reason you gave was that users will want to copy+paste this `setq'
expression.  Hard to believe.

It's your prerogative not to fix the bug, but in that case please change the
status to `wontfix'.  Thank you.