Subject: Re: bug#20299: 25.0.50; File notification is not working

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 09:03:19 +0200

Sean McAfee <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Sean,

> auto-revert-use-notify had a value of t, and yet
> auto-revert-notify-modified-p was nil even in buffers whose associated
> files had changed out from under them. I verified this visiting a
> file,
> then repeatedly issuing the shell command "echo foo >> my-file" and
> then
> evaluating the expression (auto-revert-handler) with M-:, but the file
> never got reverted.

On which directory have you done this? Note, that inotify does not work
on mounted directories.

> I can just set auto-revert-use-notify to nil going forward, but it
> would
> be nice to get file notification working as intended.

Another test you might apply is setting prior magit-auto-revert-mode

(require 'filenotify)
(require 'trace)
(dolist (elt (all-completions "file-notify-" obarray 'functionp))
  (trace-function (intern elt)))

You will observe in the buffer *trace-output*, whether file
notifications events arrive.

Best regards, Michael.