Subject: Re: bug#20296: 11.88.3; LaTeX-fill-paragraph gives unexpected result

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 23:38:51 +0200

jfbu <[email-masked]> writes:

> I do not understand the behavior of LaTeX-fill-paragraph. It keeps
> annoying me with partially filled paragraphs.
>
> Sample .tex file illustrating the problem:
>
> -------------
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \begin{document}
> % Sample paragraph
>
> Without the separation axiom this does not work, for example let $V$ be an
> infinite dimensional Banach space and let $X = V\cup\{*\}$, and let's declare 
> open the standard open $U\subset V$ as well as $X$ itself. This defines a 
> topology. The space is globally compact in the sense of coverings, but it 
> is not locally compact. Fortunately, it is not separated.
>
> % Applying M-q (LaTeX-fill-paragraph) to the paragraph above we get:
>
> Without the separation axiom this does not work, for example let $V$ be an
> infinite dimensional Banach space and let $X =
> V\cup\{*\}$, and let's declare open the standard open $U\subset V$ as well as
> $X$ itself. This defines a topology. The space is globally compact in the sense
> of coverings, but it is not locally compact. Fortunately, it is not separated.
>
> % fill-column is 78
> \end{document}
> -------------

With a fresh emacs running AUCTeX 11.88.3 with no configurations, the
paragraph above is filled to

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Without the separation axiom this does not work, for example let $V$ be an
infinite dimensional Banach space and let $X = V\cup\{*\}$, and let's declare
open the standard open $U\subset V$ as well as $X$ itself. This defines a
topology. The space is globally compact in the sense of coverings, but it is
not locally compact. Fortunately, it is not separated.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

here when fill-column is 78.  That looks correct to me.  So maybe
something in your configs causes the bad filling.

Bye,
Tassilo