Subject: bug#20296: 11.88.3; LaTeX-fill-paragraph gives unexpected result

From: jfbu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 22:09:26 +0200

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.

Be sure to consult the FAQ section in the manual before submitting
a bug report.  In addition check if the bug is reproducable with an
up-to-date version of AUCTeX.  So please upgrade to the version
available from http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/ if your
installation is older than the one available from the web site.

If the bug is triggered by a specific (La)TeX file, you should try
to produce a minimal sample file showing the problem and include it
in your report.

Your report will be posted for the auctex package at the GNU bug
tracker.  Visit http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=auctex
to browse existing AUCTeX bugs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.4.91.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, Carbon Version 157 AppKit 1265.21)
 of 2015-03-15 on Atago.local
Package: 11.88.3

I do not understand the behavior of LaTeX-fill-paragraph. It keeps annoying
me with partially filled paragraphs.

I always work with hard-wrapped paragraphs and hit M-q very often to rewrap
when I modify things.

But something seems weird with LaTeX-fill-paragraph perhaps related to $..$
material it finds.

Sample .tex file illustrating the problem:

-------------
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}
% Sample paragraph

Without the separation axiom this does not work, for example let $V$ be an
infinite dimensional Banach space and let $X = V\cup\{*\}$, and let's declare 
open the standard open $U\subset V$ as well as $X$ itself. This defines a 
topology. The space is globally compact in the sense of coverings, but it 
is not locally compact. Fortunately, it is not separated.

% Applying M-q (LaTeX-fill-paragraph) to the paragraph above we get:

Without the separation axiom this does not work, for example let $V$ be an
infinite dimensional Banach space and let $X =
V\cup\{*\}$, and let's declare open the standard open $U\subset V$ as well as $X$ itself. This defines a topology. The space is globally compact in the sense of coverings, but it is not locally compact. Fortunately, it is not separated.

% fill-column is 78
\end{document}
-------------

regards,
Jean-François