Subject: bug#20295: Using Debian?

From: Nikolaus Rath <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:07:44 -0800

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, and apparently I'm also using the wrong version of font-latex.el. However, M-x list-load-path-shadows doesn't show anything not installed by the Debian package manager (and I also don't have any Emacs related files installed manually anyway):

/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex

26 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found

However, the two listed `font-latex` files are actually the same file (one is a symlink), and Debian claims it has been shipped by AuCTeX:

$ dpkg -S /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex.el
auctex: /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex.el

$ apt-cache show auctex | grep Version
Version: 11.87-3+deb8u1

$ head -10 /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex.el
;;; font-latex.el --- LaTeX fontification for Font Lock mode.

;; Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,
;;   2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

;; Authors:    Peter S. Galbraith <[email-masked]>
;;             Simon Marshall <[email-masked]>
;; Maintainer: [email-masked]
;; Created:    06 July 1996
;; Keywords:   tex, wp, faces

Does this mean the Debian auctex package is broken?

Best,
-Nikolaus