Subject: bug#20285: 25.0.50; blink-cursor-mode sometimes stops blinking

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:17:01 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> But I think Stefan's explanation (which is the same as you write
>> below) is correct, i.e., a redisplay is triggered by new output
>> received from the async latex compile process.
>
> It is triggered if there's a small time window between two successive
> chunks of subprocess output, so that Emacs has enough time to return
> to the idle loop and see that no new input is available.

I see.

>> But under some circumstances which aren't completely clear to me, the
>> subprocess output paired with timers etc can cause a redisplay pause.
>> The even default interval of 0.5 of b-c-m seems to play its role
>> thereby.
>
> This could happen if a very large chunk of output arrives, or several
> smaller chunks arrive with almost no delay between them.  Then Emacs
> will not become idle before it sees that more input is available.

Yes, with this specific latex document, there are hundreds of small
chunks arriving in almost no time.

Bye,
Tassilo