Subject: Re: bug#20285: 25.0.50; blink-cursor-mode sometimes stops blinking

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 14:39:45 +0200

Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If your Emacs is configured with --enable-checking='yes,glyphs', then
>> you can invoke "M-x trace-redisplay RET", and see every entry to
>> redisplay_internal announced on stderr.
>
> Ok, I'll try that out.

Done that now and got output like

redisplay_preserve_echo_area (12)
redisplay_internal 0
redisplay_internal 0
redisplay_preserve_echo_area (8)
redisplay_internal 0
redisplay_preserve_echo_area (12)
redisplay_internal 0
redisplay_internal 0
redisplay_preserve_echo_area (12)
redisplay_internal 0
redisplay_internal 0

In general, I've been amazed how often redisplay is performed even
though nothing has changed in neither the single window containing the
buffer with my latex doc nor the minibuffer.  Ten times a second is very
likely, maybe even more.

Then I compiled my latex doc to generate some stress.  Every compile
takes about a good minute.  That used to work without blinking
interruption at least four times, but with the fifth time, out of
sudden, it stuck after

  redisplay_internal 0

and would not start anymore until my latex document was compiled and
AUCTeX echoed "LaTeX: successfully formatted {293} pages".  That seems
to have triggered the resume of redisplay.
The redisplay pause was at least 20 to 30 seconds.

Bye,
Tassilo