Subject: bug#20280: closed (Re: bug#20280: 25.0.50; Auto revert mode appears to be non-functional)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:18:02 +0000

Your bug report

#20280: 25.0.50; Auto revert mode appears to be non-functional

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
20280: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20280
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#20280: 25.0.50; Auto revert mode appears to be non-functional
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: "Christopher Carpenter" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:17:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> That means, that in your case on OS X ns_select is called, instead of
> xg_select.
>
> I have no idea how to solve this properly.

Paul Eggert has committed patch 200c2b10faf298bf65e8b6dbd0cb9ef00b2f95d6,
which suppresses file notification if HAVE_NS. This is not a real
solution, but we have no better way to handle it. I'm closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.0.50; Auto revert mode appears to be non-functional
From: Christopher Carpenter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 12:20:10 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

M-x find-file /tmp/some-file
M-x auto-revert-mode

**** IN A SEPARATE PROCESS CAUSE THE FILE TO CHANGE ***

Expected: Buffer automatically reverts
Actual: Buffer shows a M in mode line signifying the file has changed,
but does not revert.

Additional details: This appears to affect auto-revert-mode,
auto-revert-tail-mode, and magit's auto revert on branch switching.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.1.0, NS appkit-1344.72 Version 10.10.2 (Build 14C1514))
 of 2015-04-08 on Christophers-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: bf87b4d5a83cff934b469a95c14d782f68ea963a
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1344
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/info/emacs
 --with-file-notification=gfile --without-dbus --with-gnutls --with-rsvg
 --with-imagemagick --without-popmail --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
RSVG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  global-rbenv-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking 259 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/gnus...
Checking 57 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/eshell...
Checking 70 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/erc...
Checking 34 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emulation...
Checking 159 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 24 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/calc...
Checking 115 files in /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/HEAD/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail magit-key-mode magit view
git-rebase-mode git-commit-mode log-edit pcvs-util add-log w3m-form
w3m-filter w3m-cookie w3m-bookmark w3m-tabmenu w3m-session w3m doc-view
jka-compr image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems
w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util ido helm-misc
sane-term autorevert filenotify helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval vc-git
diff-mode winner rainbow-delimiters rainbow-identifiers color
company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf
company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb company
solarized-light-theme solarized yaml-mode smartparens-config
smartparens-ruby smartparens-html smartparens shen-mode find-lisp geiser
jade-mode sws-mode web-mode whitespace epa-file epa epg ob-dot
org-install erc-spelling flyspell ispell erc-log erc-services erc-list
erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track
erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc
erc-backend erc-compat scss-mode flymake derived haml-mode markdown-mode
css-mode rspec-mode ruby-block inf-ruby yari ruby-electric ruby-mode
smie rbenv smart-mode-line-respectful-theme smart-mode-line mule-util
rich-minority helm-projectile projectile ibuf-ext ibuffer dash json-mode
json-reformat json-snatcher js json imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
exec-path-from-shell multi-term term disp-table ehelp color-theme
saveplace paren time cus-start cus-load slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime etags
xref arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec yasnippet help-mode cl two-column
helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell dired-x dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark
pp helm-locate helm-help helm-org org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs helm-match-plugin
helm-grep helm-regexp helm-plugin grep helm-external helm-net browse-url
xml helm-utils helm-config async-bytecomp async helm-aliases helm advice
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro helm-source eieio-compat recentf tree-widget
wid-edit gnutls mm-archive message dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils
network-stream nsm starttls url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-macs eieio eieio-core
cl-generic byte-opt gv gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars finder-inf go-mode-autoloads info easymenu
slime-autoloads package epg-config compile comint ansi-color ring
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cconv server
time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
gfilenotify cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 684808 81787)
 (symbols 48 59590 8)
 (miscs 40 243 1037)
 (strings 32 175858 21705)
 (string-bytes 1 6527220)
 (vectors 16 73113)
 (vector-slots 8 1857583 53167)
 (floats 8 1142 847)
 (intervals 56 4783 3512)
 (buffers 976 36))