Subject: bug#20280: 25.0.50; Auto revert mode appears to be non-functional

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 16:45:27 +0200

"Christopher Carpenter" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello again Michael,

Hi Christopher,

> It doesn't look like libkqueue is linked to my emacs executable to me.

Yes. But glib is linked.

> I ran the code you gave there, and did multiple writes to the file. The
> following is the only text that appeared in *trace-output* and I believe
> it appeared when I activated auto-revert, not when I wrote to the file.
>
> ======================================================================
> 1 -> (file-notify-add-watch "/Users/ccarpenter/test.txt" (change
> attribute-chan\
> ge) auto-revert-notify-handler)
> | 2 -> (file-notify--descriptor 1080241180 "test.txt")
> | 2 <- file-notify--descriptor: 1080241180
> 1 <- file-notify-add-watch: 1080241180
>
> From my amateur view it looks like we are not getting any notifications.

Yes.

> Does that help any?

Yes. When glib is not linked with a native file notification library
like inotify or kqueue, it should poll in order to find file changes. It
doesn't seem to do that in your case.

I will dig deeper into this, trying to find out what makes glib to
refuse to poll. Maybe we have an error bringing glib into the main loop,
or there is something we miss to configure for glib, or it is simply a
glib error.

It might take some days, until I'll be back.

> Christopher Carpenter

Best regards, Michael.