Subject: bug#20280: 25.0.50; Auto revert mode appears to be non-functional

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 12:36:52 +0200

"Christopher Carpenter" <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Christopher,

> Unless this is actually a gfilenotify <-> emacs problem(rather than a
> gfilenotify on mac problem) I'd consider this solved/not a bug. Sorry for
> wasting time!

Like Eli, I cannot test on a Mac. If you don't mind, I would like to
misuse you for further investigations.

Even if it is a glib-on-the-mac problem, I would prefer that file
notifications are not enabled then when building Emacs. This must be
determined robustly.

glib on OSX (BSD, in fact) uses either kqueue, or it polls for file
notifications. Maybe you could check, whether libkqueue is linked to Emacs.

Furthermore, it might be worth to set traces before running the
tests. Some thing like this:

(require 'filenotify)
(require 'trace)
(dolist (elt (all-completions "file-notify-" obarray 'functionp))
  (trace-function-background (intern elt)))

You might observe the buffer *trace-output*, whether file notifications
events arrive.

> Thanks,
> Christopher Carpenter

Best regards, Michael.