Subject: bug#20271: 24.4; Can't change cursor type in w32

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 15:06:34 +0300

> From: [email-masked] (João Távora)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 12:48:11 +0100
> 
> I found the culprit. It's the Windows Magnifier. If you
> (accidentally ,as in my case) start if *before* you start Emacs, you
> get the thin 1px wide black vertical bar. There's no real turning it
> off, so a logout is at least necessary.

Sounds like an entry in etc/PROBLEMS is in order.  Can you propose
one, with a few details about turning the Magnifier on and off?

> > I can tell you how to track the initial cursor drawing using GDB, but
> > if the problem only happens when Emacs is invoked from a desktop
> > shortcut, this could be a bit tricky.
> 
> This is interesting to track other problems in general. Can I get a
> "good" precompiled gdb.exe from somewhere in the internet, perhaps your
> ezwinports repo?

Yes, you can get a 32-bit Windows build of GDB 7.9, the latest
released version, from ezwinports.