Subject: Re: bug#20258: 24.5; format-time-string miscounting of multibyte characters

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 16:12:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> "is measured in bytes".  Also, I'd say "on GNU/Linux and some other
> systems", which is marginally more accurate.

OK.

>> +depends on the locale what the width (in characters) %NX will end up
>> +being.
>
> I would mention "non-ASCII characters" here in some way, not just the
> locale, to make this more explicit.

I was pondering whether any users had a locale of *.UTF-16.  Then even
the ASCII characters will be subject to the byte/character difference,
so I thought it was best to leave even that vague.

But perhaps saying something like "especially with non-ASCII characters"
wouldn't be too misleading?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no