Subject: bug#20258: 24.5; format-time-string miscounting of multibyte characters

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 16:58:49 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:39:15 +0200
> 
> -A field width N is an unsigned decimal integer with a leading digit nonzero.
> -%NX is like %X, but takes up at least N positions.
> +A field width N is an unsigned decimal integer with a leading digit
> +nonzero.  %NX is like %X, but takes up at least N positions.  The
> +field width is (on most systems) in bytes, not characters, so it

"is measured in bytes".  Also, I'd say "on GNU/Linux and some other
systems", which is marginally more accurate.

> +depends on the locale what the width (in characters) %NX will end up
> +being.

I would mention "non-ASCII characters" here in some way, not just the
locale, to make this more explicit.

Thanks.