Subject: bug#20255: 'search-paths' should respect both user and system profile.

From: 宋文武 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 19:00:32 +0800

Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Just to make sure, remove what exactly?
>
> Remove the bit in /etc/profile that loads the user's profile, if it is
> indeed supposed to be loaded by the user's own ~/.zprofile or
> ~/.bash_profile.

Remove will break existed systems, so need a NEWS entry as Maxim
mentioned, and maybe some explainations and examples in the manual about
how to setup the environments as needed.

I could make a patch for it this weekend if no one beats me..

> At least, I don't know if there is a general agreement
> on what should be done in /etc/profile vs. the user's own config.

I think hopefully we can agree that /etc/profile only handle the system
profile, and user's own config can decide what it want.

Despite mitigation, it still work out of the box with skeletons, and
user can arrange priorities among profiles, or disable the system one.
Or configure it via home-shell-profile (TODO: need some changes).