Subject: bug#20251: 24.5; backward-list does nothing useful in inferior-python-mode

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 18:03:26 +0000

* I started emacs with `emacs -Q -nw'.
* I started an interactive Python REPL with ESC x r u n - p y t h o n RET
* I entered a very simple statement: l SPC = SPC [ 1 , SPC 2 , SPC 3 ] RET
* I then tried to position point at the [: ESC x b a c k w a r d - l i s t
RET

I noticed, to my dismay, that point was now at the beginning of the
buffer, and not before the [.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2015-04-03 on ip-10-229-27-45
Repository revision: 0ad5fe01aea8073e2b9f24c322bd1e9c4b83ca9b
System Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --without-x'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Inferior Python

Minor modes in effect:
  compilation-shell-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making python-shell-interpreter local to *Python* while let-bound!
Making python-shell-interpreter-args local to *Python* while let-bound!
Sent python-shell-completion-setup-code
Sent python-ffap-setup-code
Sent python-eldoc-setup-code

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils compile tool-bar cl-extra python easymenu
json comint regexp-opt ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color xterm
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 103663 5592)
 (symbols 24 26930 0)
 (miscs 20 52 178)
 (strings 16 30237 4098)
 (string-bytes 1 528929)
 (vectors 8 9568)
 (vector-slots 4 372842 2522)
 (floats 8 63 552)
 (intervals 28 187 0)
 (buffers 512 12)
 (heap 1024 17847 522))