Subject: bug#2025: 23.0.60; emacsclient: frame does not get focus on opening

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 00:19:31 +0200

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 17:50:42 -0400 Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> A hint is just a hint, the WM may do as it please anyway.  It is
>> considered bad behaviour to try to steal input focus when started.  It
>> should depend on what policy the user has set, focus-follows-mouse or
>> click-to-focus.
>>
>> If Emacs is started with focus-follows-mouse and the mouse isn't in a
>> frame, I would expect Emacs not to have focus.  However, some WMs warp
>> the mouse to newly started applications.  For click-to-focus I think
>> the WM just does what it thinks is best.  Some WMs have a setting
>> ("give focus to new window") which the user can use to influence this.
>>
>> So to conclude, if Emacs where to try do anything, there are window
>> managers where this would fail anyway.  Better if the OP can get KWin
>> to behave.  Maybe there is some option for this in KWin.
>
> According to teh Google, the Kwin setting in question is called "focus
> stealing prevention level", which should be set to "none" to allow
> newly-launched applications to acquire focus.

You beat me to the punch :-).  That indeed seems to do the trick.
(Maybe I should take more time to learn about KWin -- but that would
mean having less time to spend on Emacs...)

Steve Berman