Subject: Re: bug#2025: 23.0.60; emacsclient: frame does not get focus on opening

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 17:50:42 -0400

Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:

> A hint is just a hint, the WM may do as it please anyway.  It is
> considered bad behaviour to try to steal input focus when started.  It
> should depend on what policy the user has set, focus-follows-mouse or
> click-to-focus.
>
> If Emacs is started with focus-follows-mouse and the mouse isn't in a
> frame, I would expect Emacs not to have focus.  However, some WMs warp
> the mouse to newly started applications.  For click-to-focus I think
> the WM just does what it thinks is best.  Some WMs have a setting
> ("give focus to new window") which the user can use to influence this.
>
> So to conclude, if Emacs where to try do anything, there are window
> managers where this would fail anyway.  Better if the OP can get KWin
> to behave.  Maybe there is some option for this in KWin.

According to teh Google, the Kwin setting in question is called "focus
stealing prevention level", which should be set to "none" to allow
newly-launched applications to acquire focus.