Subject: bug#2025: 23.0.60; emacsclient: frame does not get focus on opening

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 20:54:46 +0200

Glenn Morris skrev 2011-10-05 19:15:
> Stephen Berman wrote:
>
>> Anyway, it looks like this may not be a problem that can be solved by
>> Emacs, so I suppose this bug can be closed.
>
> Maybe someone who knows about these things (window manager hints etc?)
> could comment...
>
> [looks around hopefully for Jan D.]
>
>

A hint is just a hint, the WM may do as it please anyway.  It is considered 
bad behaviour to try to steal input focus when started.  It should depend on 
what policy the user has set, focus-follows-mouse or click-to-focus.

If Emacs is started with focus-follows-mouse and the mouse isn't in a frame, I 
would expect Emacs not to have focus.  However, some WMs warp the mouse to 
newly started applications.  For click-to-focus I think the WM just does what 
it thinks is best.  Some WMs have a setting ("give focus to new window") which 
the user can use to influence this.

So to conclude, if Emacs where to try do anything, there are window managers 
where this would fail anyway.  Better if the OP can get KWin to behave.  Maybe 
there is some option for this in KWin.

	Jan D.