Subject: bug#20247: 24.4; Emacs hangs at startup in desktop mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 20:44:01 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 10:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>         [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > > Can we not leave the default to respecting the saved display value,
> > > but also use a `condition-case' or similar to DTRT if that display
> > > does not exist or trying to use it raises an error in some other way?
> > 
> > Can you explain why using display that is not the current one even
> > makes sense?
> 
> Ask Juanma, or whoever else might have been responsible for designing
> this aspect of desktop.

Juanma is not the one who claims that the current default value is the
correct one; you are.  I hoped you could explain why you think so.

> Desktop is designed to support exactly that, no?  You are apparently
> questioning the design.

The design supports both values.  I question the default.  I don't
object to allow the other value if it is useful in some marginal use
cases.

> Desktop records lots of stuff that might not be usable when
> an attempt is made to restore the recorded desktop.

Actually, no, it doesn't.  It generally records only values that
should be usable.

> > > I don't have the code for #2.  No doubt Someone (TM) would need to
> > > _actually try to debug this_, to find out just what happens when a
> > > bad display value is tried.
> > 
> > I think it's clear without any debugging.
> 
> Really?  In that case, can you please make it raise an error instead
> of hanging?

I don't see how that is relevant.  Being able to explain the problem
doesn't necessarily mean a solution is at hand.

> Just trying to help.

You aren't.